This mixed berry pavlova recipe is the perfect way to say farewell to summer!
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 pinches salt, divided
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (16 ounces) Strawberries, hulled and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 package (6 ounces or 1 1/4 cups) Blackberries
- 1 package (6 ounces or 1 1/3 cups) Blueberries
- 1 package (6 ounces or 1 1/4 cups) Raspberries
- Preheat oven to 225°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites in bowl of an electric mixer with whisk attachment until bubbles form. Add cornstarch, cream of tartar and salt. Continue beating on high speed 2 minutes or until very soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar. Continue beating 2 to 3 minutes or until stiff, shiny peaks form and mixture is no longer grainy. Use a large spoon to transfer meringue to prepared baking sheet. Use back of the spoon to spread the meringue out to a circle 8 to 9-inches across. Leave sides about ½ inch higher than center to hold cream and berries.
- Bake in center of oven for 1 hour. Reduce oven temperature to 180°F. Continue cooking 11/2 to 2 hours or until meringue is crisp. Turn off oven, prop open oven door with wooden spoon, and let meringue cool and dry. (The meringue shell can be made 3 days ahead. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store at room temperature.)
- Place a medium bowl next to stove with a fine-meshed sieve.
- Stir together 11/2 cups milk, 1/2 cup sugar and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves and liquid is steaming, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk cornstarch, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, and remaining pinch of salt together in a medium bowl. Add remaining 1/2 cup milk and egg yolks and stir until combined. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to slowly transfer about half the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking continuously. Return entire egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Continue to whisk over medium-high heat until the mixture thickens, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla and whisk until butter melts. Strain mixture through sieve into prepared bowl. Gently press plastic wrap directly onto top of cream to avoid a skin. Refrigerate until chilled, 2 to 3 hours.
- Peel parchment paper from bottom of meringue shell. Place on serving platter. Spread vanilla cream into shell. Arrange strawberries upright randomly on cream. Arrange the rest of the berries on top of the cream.
Recipe courtesy of Driscoll’s