Don’t be afraid of deep frying! Even though the process can be messy, the flavor is undeniably delicious. Try the sweet potato recipe below!
- 6 cups peanut oil, for frying
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup club soda, cold
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 by 1/4-inch fries
- Heat the oil to 375 degrees F in a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven or deep fryer. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- Mix the salt, garlic powder, paprika and sugar in a bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the cornstarch and club soda in a mixing bowl. In batches, dip the potatoes in the batter, allow any excess to drip off and hold on a wire rack. Repeat with rest of the potatoes.
- Fry half the potatoes, stirring occasionally until golden brown and crispy, 6 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle with the seasoning and hold in the oven on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Repeat with the last batch of potatoes.
Recipe courtesy of Food Network.